Towards a new generation of EU peer-to-peer Energy Communities facilitated by a gamified platform and empowered by user-centred energy trading mechanisms and business models (NRG2peers)
NRG2peers is an international project co-funded by the by the European Union under the Horizon 2020 programme (LC-SC3-EC-01-2019 – The role of consumers in changing the market through informed decisions and collective actions).
There is still a need for clear guidance, education, and support with respect to the methodologies and current practices for the set-up and take-off of successful energy communities, both on local and at the EU level. Current practices and instruments to co-create, strengthen, make attractive and multiply energy communities face several challenges, including users’ understanding and acceptance of collective actions in energy communities and benefits of smart grids.
The key aim of NRG2peers is to support the uptake of a next generation of European peer-to-peer energy communities. NRG2peers sets up a gamified platform, supporting residential energy communities, to increase energy efficiency and to integrate a higher share of renewable energy. In its approach, the project combines behavioural-based support mechanisms for peer-to-peer (peer-to-community and peer-to-market) transactions.
The NRG2peers platform aims to support the uptake and multiplication of attractive, financially, legally and technically viable, user-centred residential energy communities in three concrete ways:
- Level 1: Collecting experiences from operative peer-to-peer energy communities, whose assessment schemes are already compliant with national and EU legislations;
- Level 2: Providing smart demand-response mechanisms to optimize energy consumption and peak demand at the community level;
- Level 3: Adopting community-based nudging mechanisms for peer-to-peer transaction of renewable energy.
By combining the three levels with gamified features supporting peer-to-peer behavioural-based incentives, the NRG2peers platform targets for global energy and CO2 emission savings at the community level, which far outperforms optimizations exploiting the synergies of distributed RES and DSM alone. This will be achieved by adopting holistic methodologies, such as place-based affiliation networks, and applied anthropology, for maximizing the impact of social influence on the energy consumption behaviour of networked users exposed to normative eco-feedback.
NRG2peers has five measurable objectives:
- Objective 1: Stimulating and enabling the co-creation, strengthening and widespread implementation of the new generation of peer-to-peer energy communities the EU.
- Objective 2: Enhancing the new peer-to-peer energy communities to be more attractive, practical, reliable, understandable and desirable by a holistic and user-centred approach.
- Objective 3: Making the new energy communities easily accessible for minimum 10.000 residential customers and a wide range of stakeholders
- Objective 4: Demonstrate that collectively organized peer-to-peer energy-related actions are financially viable and attractive at the community level, by testing the NRG2peers approach and evaluating outcomes of ongoing, complementary P2P / energy trading projects with the consumer-members and relevant regional stakeholders of nine (9) Pilot Communities in 4 regional ecosystems.
- Objective 5: To foster the EU-wide uptake of peer-to-peer energy communities by motivating and activating EU interest groups and national certifying and standardisation bodies.
- Huygen Installatie Adviseurs (HIA) – NL (coordinator)
- Spectral Enterprise B.V. (SPECTRAL) – NL
- Schoonschip Pioneer Vessel (SPV) – NL
- Dune Works (DW) – NL
- Geckotech (GT) – NL
- Institute for Innovation and Development of University of Ljubljana (IRI UL) – SI
- Valencia Institute of Building (IVE) – ES
- Alginet Distribucion Energia Electrica Sociedad Limitada (ADEE) – ES
- Municipality of Milan (MUMI) – IT
- Polytechnic of Milan (POLIMI) – IT
- University of Perugia (UNIPG) – IT
- Elettrica Valeri S.r.l. (ELEVALE) – IT
- International Union of Property Owners (UIPI) – BE
- Housing Europe (HE) – BE
- i.LECO – BE
- 9.2020 – 31.8. 2023 (36 months)
Total eligible costs
- € 1 998 436,25
Contact at IRI UL: